Nespresso Prodigio – The Compact Wonder
Sophisticated, functional, and incredibly efficient, Nespresso Prodigio is the latest generation espresso machine. It even adapts to the most demanding users. It serves different drinks by improving the aroma and taste of the various blends, thus makes each cup a unique experience.
Like all Nespresso machines, the Prodigio is designed to brew the best coffee-based drink. But it doesn’t stop there. Nespresso has added several new features to this powerful model. Let’s take a closer look under the hood to help us understand who the Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine is best for!
- Nespresso Prodigio – The Compact Wonder
- Nespresso Prodigio review
- Modern and compact design
- Professional quality coffee
- An ultra-fast coffee machine
- Ease of use and connectivity
- Prodigio Nespresso maintenance
- Electricity consumption of the Nespresso Prodigio
- The sound level of Krups Prodigio
- The durability of the Krups Nespresso Prodigio machine
- Nespresso Prodigio Colors
- What is in the Nespresso Prodigio machine package?
- How does the Nespresso Prodigio work?
- How to clean and descale the Krups Nespresso Prodigio machine?
- Which capsules are compatible with Nespresso Prodigio?
- Nespresso Prodigio Vs Prodigio & Milk: which one to choose?
- Who should buy Krups Prodigio coffee machine?
- What is the price of the Nespresso Podigio?
- Final words on the Nespresso Prodigio
Nespresso Prodigio review
Modern and compact design
The design of the Nespresso Prodigio capsule machine is magnificent. The famous Nespresso elegance is more evident with this machine, although the only colors available are silver and titan.
Also, its dimensions of 11.9 x 37.4 x 25.5 centimeters is quite compact. It has a power cable concealed at the base of the machine means that its footprint is minimal and it stays on any surface without too much disturbance.
The best feature of this machine that puts it at the top of the table is the size of the water tank. Many capsule machines are designed to be compact and inconspicuous on a kitchen bench. However, in sacrifice, the water reservoirs are often small and require constant filling per drink.
The Nespresso Krups Prodigio has an 800ml rotating reservoir concealed on the back of the device, which means users can brew multiple cups before filling it.
Professional quality coffee
Like all Nespresso coffee machines, the Nespresso Prodigio is also equipped with a 19 bar pressure pump that applies the optimum pressure to the capsule, piercing it and releasing all its aroma.
The pressurized water evenly penetrates the wafer, resulting in consistently great, rich, and creamy coffee. With a Nespresso Prodigio machine, you can be sure you’ll never have a bad cup.
Coffee made from Grand Crus capsules is consistently smooth, with a velvety crema and rich flavor. Around 21 capsules are offered, including special editions ranging from intense roast to flavor infusions, such as caramel and chocolate, in addition to four decaffeinated capsules.
If you love coffee with milk you should opt for Nespresso Prodigio & milk instead, as it comes with an Aeroccino 3.
Suggested Read : Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Makers Review
An ultra-fast coffee machine
One of the greatest strengths of the Nespresso Prodigio coffee maker is its speed. Indeed, it only takes 25 seconds to heat all the water in the tank.
Great efforts have been made by the brand to ensure that the machine can pour a good hot coffee every time.
As for the extraction of coffee, it takes between 15 seconds and 21 seconds depending on the length of the cup chosen.
Ease of use and connectivity
- If the Nespresso Prodigio is currently enjoying huge success, it is because it is incredibly easy to use. More precisely, know that it has only three buttons that allow you to program the length of the coffee: ristretto (25 ml), espresso (40 ml), and lungo (110 ml).
- The Nespresso Prodigio Krups is the “first connected coffee machine”. It allows you to start the preparation of coffee remotely through an application. While this might sound awesome, it’s worth remembering that the user needs to insert a coffee capsule first and ensure that there is water in the reservoir. Also, the Aeroccino milk frother (which comes as an extra) cannot be controlled by the app.
- However, it must be admitted that smart functionality has many advantages. First of all, the app is supposed to alert you when you need more capsules. It also allows you to adjust the size of the cup according to your consumption habits and to know the amount of water available in the tank as well as its hardness.
Prodigio Nespresso maintenance
As with all Nespresso coffee makers, maintaining and cleaning the Prodigio is easy. You have a dedicated Nespresso helpline if you need assistance installing it and a 2-year warranty.
The removable reservoir is easy to clean, as is the drip tray. You can clean the coffee with a damp cloth if you spilled it. Used capsules accumulate in the integrated capsule container, which holds 19 in total before it needs to be emptied.
If you use the mobile app you will appreciate the descaling alerts. The machine also has a descaling indicator light.
Note: You cannot use the mobile app to start the descaling process. It only tells you when it’s time to descale. The Nespresso Krups Prodigio descaling program is very easy to do and does not take long. However, you will need to be present, because you will have to press the buttons and return the water halfway to the tank.
Electricity consumption of the Nespresso Prodigio
You should know that the Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine uses little energy. Indeed, it consumes only 1220 W during preheating. Also, note that the power consumption of the machine drops to 0.2W when it goes into sleep mode and to 0.1W when it turns off completely. It is more than obvious that this model will save you money on your electricity bills.
The sound level of Krups Prodigio
The Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine emits a noise of 56 dB during the extraction of coffee. It is quite silent compared to other Nespresso machines such as the Inissia for example which has a 68 dB sound level.
The durability of the Krups Nespresso Prodigio machine
When it comes to building materials, the Nespresso Prodigio is made of stainless steel. It has plastic for the exterior parts, such as the cup rest platform, upper body, water tank, and cap. However, it is a plastic material resistant to high temperatures.
The technology of the Nespresso Prodigio Krups, combined with the excellent workmanship of the materials, guarantees great durability for this device. It is therefore possible to envisage a solid and globally resistant product.
Also Read : Home Espresso Machine Under $200
Nespresso Prodigio Colors
The only colors available are silver and titanium. The advantage is that these colors are adaptable to different environments and styles of furniture, even non-domestic ones. Prodigio Silver Nespresso and Titanium both looks appealing.
What is in the Nespresso Prodigio machine package?
The Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine is delivered with:
- A manual or user guide
- An explanatory leaflet
- 2 years warranty
- An Aeroccino milk frother
- A welcome pack containing 16 Nespresso Grands Crus capsules. So feel free to try all the flavors available to find the ones you prefer.
How does the Nespresso Prodigio work?
The Prodigio coffee machine connects to the free Nespresso application (available on Android and iOS). You may already be using this app if you already have a Nespresso machine. It is the same app that allows you to order coffee capsules, machines, and accessories like mugs.
With the Prodigio application you can:
- Prepare coffee.
- Plan coffee preparation
- Manage the stock of capsules.
- It alerts if the water tank of the machine is empty or if descaling needed.
The machine itself has three buttons on the top to select three different amounts of coffee to brew. It also uses an automatic capsule ejection system, unlike the manual lever system of the Nespresso Pixie or the Inissia.
There is also a slider on its top for inserting the capsule. To power on the machine, open this slider.
To use the Nespresso Prodigio machine with the app, pair the device with your smartphone by following the instructions in the app.
Your phone must be within 10 meters of the machine. Once the pairing is complete, you can tap an app icon to immediately brew a cup of coffee.
But obviously, you still have to insert the capsule and place your cup below the coffee outlet.
If you’re already in front of the coffee maker, I think it’s faster to just press the button on the machine.
Remember to schedule your coffee preparation before going to sleep if you want to enjoy it earlier in the morning. But you have to remember to leave a capsule and a cup in the machine overnight.
The app’s alert management system will let you know if the machine cannot brew coffee because the container of used capsules is full or if the water tank is empty. It is also supposed to remind you if your machine needs descaling.
How to clean and descale the Krups Nespresso Prodigio machine?
To enjoy delicious coffees and to extend the life of your beloved connected Nespresso machine, it is important to know how to maintain it. But, the process of cleaning or descaling is not exactly intuitive. We’re here to break it down for you.
- How often should you descale your Nespresso?
Nespresso recommends that you descale your machine approximately every three months. However, if you use your device often and want it to always produce the best possible taste, it is recommended that you descale it after every 300 capsules.
- How long will it take?
The entire descaling process of your Nespresso should not take more than 20 minutes.
- What you will need
To properly descale your Nespresso Prodigio, you will need a descaling solution kit. You will also need fresh water and a container of at least 1 liter.
Descaling Nespresso Prodigio step by step
Once you have your descaling kit, you can begin the process by taking care to follow the following steps:
- Remove all used capsules from the machine and empty the capsule container.
- Put the appropriate amount of fresh water in your water tank and mix it in a sachet of descaling solution. You can find out how much water your machine needs in the user manual or on the Nespresso website.
- Place a container that can hold up to one liter of water under the coffee outlet, then turn on the machine.
- To start the descaling process, you will need to press all three buttons simultaneously for three seconds.
- The descaling process will now start and will take approximately 10 minutes. You will then need to fill the water tank with the used solution and repeat the process.
- Once your machine has finished its cycle, rinse the water tank and pour in freshwater. Then restart the cycle for another 10 minutes without the descaling solution in the water.
- Empty and rinse your drip tray.
- To exit the descaling mode, press the three buttons again for 3 seconds. Let your Nespresso Prodigio machine dry for 10 minutes before using it.
Why is it recommended to descale your Prodigio coffee maker?
All coffee machines build up lime deposits over time. The “scaling” is to remove the deposits from the surface of your machine. For your Nespresso Prodigio coffee maker to work properly, you must eliminate these accumulations by descaling regularly.
The technical characteristics of the Nespresso Prodigio
- Colors: Silver, titanium
- Dimensions: 11.9 x 37.4 x 25.5 cm
- Weight: 2.95 kg
- Tank capacity: 0.8 L
- The capacity of the capsule collector: 12 capsules
- Pressure: 19 bars
- Preheating time: 25 seconds
- Power: 1260 watts
- Material: stainless steel
- Automatic coffee stop: yes
- Automatic power-off : yes, after 9 min of inactivity
- Automatic capsule ejection: yes
The advantages of the Nespresso Prodigio
- Compact, this machine is not too big and is suitable for all spaces, at home or in the office.
- Versatile, it is possible to prepare up to 3 recipes based on milk and coffee to satisfy all consumers.
- Capsules compatible with this machine, you can use both the original Nespresso capsules and those said to be compatible. These allow you a considerable saving.
- The cleaning of this machine is very simple, the different components are removable and washable. The machine signals you via an indicator light when descaling is required.
- Connected thanks to the Bluetooth connection, it is possible to use the machine via the application of your smartphone, from dispensing to ordering capsules.
- Reduced consumption: the machine is equipped with an automatic shutdown system after 9 minutes of inactivity, which allows you to reduce electricity consumption.
- Creamy coffee: The coffee made with this machine thanks to the 19 bar pressure pump is full-bodied, aromatic, and creamy.
- Attractive Design: The modern and elegant design of this product makes it a functional furnishing item.
- Useful application: with this app, you can choose the coffee brewing time, choose the machine downtime, check the number of capsules available, perform descaling, and much more.
The weak points of the Nespresso Prodigio
- Price a bit high
- Availability and price of capsules
Which capsules are compatible with Nespresso Prodigio?
Let’s just say that you have two choices: the original Nespresso capsules and the compatible capsules.
You can buy original capsules from an official Nespresso store or buy them on the Internet, which is undoubtedly the most advantageous solution.
These capsules give you extra flavor without the need for sweet syrup or flavored coffee cream. Also, note that the offers are varied, you can try a new flavor every day of the week. The only catch is that the price of these capsules is a bit high.
The compatible capsules: the increasingly demanded products simply are not coffee capsules produced by Nespresso. There are other roasters you can use in Nespresso machines.
The advantage of compatible capsules is that they cost less than the originals, they are available in supermarkets. They guarantee excellent espresso and there are many brands and blends.
Nespresso Prodigio Vs Prodigio & Milk: which one to choose?
The options for the Nespresso Prodigio are simple and to the point. You can buy either a normal Prodigio device for those who prefer water-based coffees or a Prodigio & Milk if you like your coffee drinks with frothed milk.
Magimix and Krups are the main manufacturers of the Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine. Depending on your region and whether you buy a Prodigio or a Prodigio & Milk, you can get a machine from one of these brands.
The underlying equipment and styling are the same for both, and you’ll still get the same warranty – so you don’t have to worry here.
Who should buy Krups Prodigio coffee machine?
Before deciding on this Prodigio coffee maker, we recommend that you check whether it is a perfect match for your needs. In general, remember that this machine is intended for:
- Busy espresso lovers who unfortunately don’t have a lot of time to devote to brewing coffee.
The Bluetooth connection and the Nespresso application offer the possibility of controlling this machine with the mobile phone. And above all the possibility of programming the preparation and extraction of coffee at the time you prefer.
It is also possible to remotely perform many other functions necessary for the good condition of the coffee maker as well as for updating its operation and performance.
- To all those who wish to rediscover the taste of a real espresso.
Having a 19 bar pressure pump makes it possible to obtain coffees with an exquisite and aromatic cream.
- To lovers of milk drinks
The Nespresso Prodigio Milk version is a good way to get an Aeroccino at a lower price than its normal price.
- To owners of small businesses or small studios
The Nespresso Prodigio machine has a compact design and its rotating water tank allows it, among other things, to adapt to any space, even the smallest.
What is the price of the Nespresso Podigio?
You should plan on at least 170 euros to get a good Nespresso Prodigio coffee machine. Even if its price is higher than the average, we admit that the offer is quite interesting.
This model allows enjoying many additional advantages thanks to its connectivity.
You should also budget for the purchase of the capsules. The original Nespresso capsules are more expensive (around 35 cents per capsule). To save money, you can turn to compatible capsules made by other brands.
Where to buy a cheap Nespresso Prodigio?
You can buy your Nespresso Prodigio Krups directly online. We advise you to place your order with the leader in e-commerce Amazon to avoid any disappointment.
Final words on the Nespresso Prodigio
It’s time to form an opinion on the Nespresso Prodigio coffee maker. In this sense, we can say that this is a really interesting coffee machine. It produces exquisite coffees, allows you to reduce your energy bills, and enjoys excellent quality.
Despite its price is higher than average, it is worth having it. Mostly because it has become a pioneer by including the Bluetooth connection and the app.
It’s the perfect alternative for homes and more tech-savvy users (If you have a tight schedule or work from home).
… Why? Because it will allow them to prepare a coffee in a very comfortable, fast and simple way… Wherever you are, you will be able to do it via your mobile phone.
Its modern and versatile design makes it adaptable to any kitchen, regardless of its decorative style. It is one more reason to decide to buy it.